Mon - Fri 8am - 7pm | Saturday & Sunday 9am - 6pm




Unexpected Household Poisons: Info from a Veterinarian in Concord


The Internet is a terrific place to learn about your feline friend or canine companion's needs. Naturally, having immediate access to a plethora of information makes it a lot easier to understand your dog or cat. Despite this, though, quite a few cat and dog owners don't know that several common household items pose a threat to their four-legged family members. You know to keep chocolate, pesticides, and medications out of your pet's reach, but some seemingly harmless items may very well be equally as dangerous. Since March is National Pet Poison Prevention Month, now is an awesome opportunity to increase your knowledge. Keep reading to discover a couple of items you may not recognize could hurt your furry family member.

1. Xylitol

You might not recognize xylitol by its name, but you most likely have it somewhere in your home. This artificial sweetener is used in sugar-free products, especially candy and gum. Unfortunately, this ingredient is not very sweet for dogs and cats. When eaten, xylitol may cause a severe drop in blood sugar levels and potentially fatal liver damage. With manufacturers using this ingredient more frequently, it's showing up in new products constantly. Even some peanut butter contains xylitol. Be sure to read labels before giving your pet people food! 

2. Grapes and Raisins

You and your children might like snacking on raisins and grapes, but they are hazardous to your pet. Research hasn’t uncovered precisely why these fruits are so poisonous to companion animals, but ingesting just one or two raisins or grapes can cause severe kidney damage. 

3. Houseplants

Plants and pets are not a very good mix. Quite a few popular houseplants are poisonous to pets, and they could cause problems ranging from moderate nausea to organ failure and death. Snake plants, aloe, dracaena, and philodendrons are just a few examples of plants known to harm companion animals. 

Caring For Pets Who Have Ingested Toxic Substances

Seek immediate assistance if you ever think your pet might have ingested or been exposed to a toxic/poisonous substance. Your pet requires an evaluation even if they are not showing symptoms. Get a hold of the Pet Poison Helpline for additional information, including whether you need to see an emergency veterinarian. 

If you are searching for a vet in Concord, Alpine Veterinary Hospital can help. Our compassionate team provides both wellness care and sick care and will provide your pet with the care they need.  To find out more or make an appointment, call now.


3 Last-Minute Holiday Gifts for Your Furry Family ...

Alpine Veterinary

Alpine Veterinary Hospital is proud to serve pet owners in Concord, Pleasant Hill, Walnut Creek, Clayton, Pacheco, Martinez, Brentwood, Antioch and nearby areas for all of your veterinary needs.

Contact Details

Phone Number
(925) 825-8464
[email protected]
4807 Clayton Rd, Concord, CA

Services Offered